Friday, February 27, 2009

On fingers inside mouths.

Although the blog history does not display it, I have had a long and storied history with the Dentist. This was brought to the forefront yesterday when the three kids had their dentist appointment.
I am happy to report that none of the kids had cavities. I have a personal theory of cavities. The factors that go into cavities are genetics, diet, and oral care. I put Genetics at about 80%, and 20% to the other two. I know many people who never brush their teeth and never get a cavity, and many people who brush their teeth and still get cavities.
Recently, I have a new one to add to the the list. Dental Sealants. This can help where your parents did not. Anyway, our kids dentist is big on sealants, and when ever a permanent molar comes in, will seal it within the first 6 months. The sealant process is actually pretty simple. The dentist, (actual Hygienists) cleans the tooth, applies a resin of some sort, and then bakes it on with the blue gun. Calvin and Caleb have very simliar teeth, and Calvin had a cavity in his baby molars. With Caleb we were smart enough to have his teeth sealed, and he has not had a cavity. I bring this up because I really recommend to all my nieces and nephews that they should get sealants, because they are much less tramtic than a cavity, and at least with our dentist, they don't need a seperate appointment. Anyway, Calvin's experience with the cavity was extremely tramatic, and now his experience in the chair is just really hard for him.
I have a large degree of empathy for him. We talked to him about the sealants, and he was OK for it. Rachel left with Caleb and Sadie, so it was just Dad and Calvin.
Typically it takes about 10 minutes for all the sealants. It took about 30 minutes total. Calvin just was not happy at all. Part of it was memories of the other times, but also his lips were really chapped, and opening his mouth so wide caused his lips to crack and bleed, which hurt much more than what happened to his teeth. My other advice for others reading this blog, check for chapped lips before going to the dentist, and apply vaseline a few hours before, and it will be a better experience.
My last advice, I wish I would of done, but not sure I am ready to do it as a consistant practice. I wish I would of slipped each of the kids a couple of Tylenol before we walked in. Baby Tylenol was a lifesaver during teething, and it would of made all the kids more mellow in the dentist chair. I will always remember once talking to Chris, and in the background Evan was crying because he was teething. I praised baby Tylenol, and speculated how they managed before it. Chris said, "Oh, they just gave them a shot of whiskey." Which is still funny.
Lastly, ever time I go to the Dentist, I think of my 9th grade english teacher. When I was in the 9th grade, I knocked out my four front teeth. My english teacher's wife was a nurse who worked in the dentist office. He said, "I would never tell my wife this, but I am not sure how anyone could stick their hands in other people mouth all day." This has been a long post, so perhaps it will have to wait till another time to speculate the sexism involved in most of the places I go with my children, school, Dentist office, Doctor's office, etc, are typically staffed by a man in the top roll, (Principal, Dentist, Doctor), and lots of women assisting, (Teacher, Hygenist, Nurse). Not always, but most of the time this is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment